Multitasking. As a business owner I do it all the time. I'm digging through old bank statements to give to the accountant right before my big meeting with a potential new client. I mean, I even pride myself on it! Just LOOK at how much I can do at one time! Yes, I'll:
- Volunteer for an ice arena campaign while trying to grow a business
- Stay home with the kids for (multiple) snow days and still get work done
- Read 18 books at a time, while listening to a podcast (or 100) and tell all my closest friends about them all
- Build a house, move office spaces, train in team members, and try to be a nice wife in the same 2 months
- Remain in the business development role for Brand Yourself while still working in the weeds (also known as production in my world)
Then. I listened to a podcast interview of Jay Papasan. He is one of the authors of The ONE Thing. I (of course) have a copy of his book. I took some time to jot down some of the truth around multitasking:
- 20% of what we do will give us 80% of our results
- Researchers estimate we lose 28% of an average workday to multitasking ineffectiveness
- ACTIVITY and PRODUCTIVITY are NOT the same thing
- You develop a distorted sense of how long things take
- Multitaskers make more mistakes
- It takes you longer and dumbs down your work
There was something else mentioned on this podcast that made me think -- our phones were engineered to make it attractive to us -- to make it addictive. The average person checks their email or other programs 37 times per HOUR. And how it ACTUALLY takes 66 days to form a habit? Craziness.
Now -- why does all of this matter? How does this apply to you?
If you're trying to market your business WHILE running your business, you're multitasking. If you spend even a few minutes each day to figure out what you should be posting to Instagram or Facebook instead of working on what is MOST important in your business -- you're actually losing time. You're losing MONEY. And let's be real -- it takes more than just a FEW MINUTES.
What if you could focus on your marketing for a few hours each month so your posts would go out automatically? You wouldn't have to think about it EVERY DAY?! Wouldn't that be amazing? Well -- as an agency -- that is what we do. We are masters of automation. We automate all of our campaigns and our clients campaigns -- including the reports.
And -- we are willing to teach you.
Download our "How to Automate Your Marketing" freebie and stay tuned for our digital course launching soon to get you started!